Ozymandias (My favorite poem) by Percy Bysshe Shelley

"And on the pedestal these words appear:
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'"
~Percy Bysshe Shelley

Friday, April 29, 2011

Pre Adventure

When i was little i hated reading.  It was required for for elementary school and my mom wouldn't let me fake it... >:(   Finally when i was in fifth grade i found books by Mary Downing Hawn and fell in love.  From there i couldn't put books down.  I read and read and read and... didn't do my other homework.
But writing was still not my thing.  I resented having teachers make us write because it was boring and stupid and pointless and a waste of my time when i could be outside running barefoot!
My freshman year of high school changed all of that.  I had signed up for a lower level of LA than I probably needed to wanted because my middle school teachers told me i wasn't up for top level LA.... jerks.
But if I hadn't taken that class i wouldn't have had Mr. Alberty.  Honestly i have no idea why he was teaching bottom level LA... it might have just been regular level.  I can't remember.  All i can remember is that he was one of the best teachers i had at wash.  Definitely the best English teacher.  He would have been amazing at higher level classes and i am still sad that i didn't get to take AP Lit from him.  Either way, i'm selfishly happy that he didn't teach a harder class because i wouldn't have had the extreme luck of learning from him.  And i would not have found the other of two things that make me happy.  He gave us an assignment to write a dialogue and make it not boring.  For what ever reason i got really into it.  And when i was done he encouraged me.  Just like that i was into writing.  That assignment had been so much fun.  I loved searching my mind for the right word to describe the situation.  The exercise of putting myself in the situation and describing it.  It's one of the best feelings to be able to go back and read what you wrote and actually think it sounds good, it gives a brief moment of self pride that i don't get many other ways.



No comments:

Post a Comment